Thursday, January 17, 2013

Nice Cup

The Misfits
I was standing in the break room at work, washing out my new coffee cup like I now do every single morning before pouring coffee into it because I don't know where its been or what's been done to it, when a new employee came in. She was getting some coffee, too.

I didn't recognize her. I've never seen her before. And I had my head down focusing on what I was doing. We didn't speak.

As she was leaving she turned to me and said, "nice cup!" And she smiled.

Nice cup!
I looked at her. It took me a minute to remember that I had replaced my old generic cup with this new Misfits skull cup. "Thanks, its supposed to make it harder for anyone to steal it from me."

"Unless they like it." she said. "Then they'll take it home."

I'll take that cup from you and you'll never see it again!
It hadn't occurred to me that anyone might WANT my cup now that its unique. I mean, it isn't really unique. I bought it at the Guitar Center. Anyone can get one. But it's unique for this office. I haven't seen another like it. The point was simply to make it harder for the person screwing with me by taking my cup to get away with it. But now I realize I might have to deal with someone taking it and keeping it for good because they like this new cup.

Hmmm.

And then, as I was pouring coffee into my newly cleaned cup, a fellow employee asked me how things were going. We had worked together briefly on a project when I was loaned out to his team for about 6 weeks or so.

"Oh, it's going alright. How are things going with the project?" I asked, not really knowing what to say.

We talked for a few minutes about the project I had worked on with him and then turned to go out opposite doors.

That's when I noticed that he was wearing the exact same shirt as me.

And the exact same pants, too.

We were twins.


Except that I have this awesome coffee cup and he doesn't.

10 comments:

  1. Hope that dude doesn't come in on Monday with a cup exactly like yours!!!!!!!!!

    PS I commented on your last post, but it seems to have disappeared :0( I was suggesting itching powder or something that stains hardcore too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AlleyCat, that would actually be funnier than taking my cup. I wish whoever is messing with my stuff would just do that instead.

      I'll go back to the last post and see if I see anything. I didn't get an email about it so I wonder if Blogger just hosed and lost it.

      Delete
  2. you going to have to chain that mug down, i want one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dog3oy, you too can have a cool mug like mine! http://www.guitarcenter.com/C-D-Visionary-Misfits-Mug-105489603-i2418743.gc

      Delete
  3. 1 Cup, 2 guys!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!


    I think you should make this a running blog story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ute, if it continues then I will. I was so mad when I came in Monday and it was gone that I emailed up the chain pretty high so I think it may end soon. I just hope it doesn't all backfire and they get rid of me because sometimes corporations do funky things like that.

      Delete
  4. That "Nice cup" comment on the photo made me laugh. Out. Loud. So awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annika, I was trying not to think dirty when I wrote it, but it was a struggle.

      Delete
  5. Keep that cup baby - it's working for you already. is that the actual girl who said "Nice cup"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AboutLastWeekend, no, that's not her. I don't have a photo of the actual girl. I just did a Google search for "nerdy girl" and she came up.

      Delete